Christianbook.com

Search:
Christianbook.com

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Shunning by Beverly Lewis


What an interesting read! This book gives the reader an inside look into the Amish community. I have been fascinated with the Amish since I first picked up a Beverly Lewis book and read it. What an intriguing group of people. The Shunning is one of those books that I had always been weary to pick up and read. I received it as a birthday gift (birthday gifts get so many things started), and I decided I’d just go ahead and read it. I’m glad I did. I gained new knowledge of Amish beliefs and struggles through the eyes and life of Katie Lapp. As someone who is not Amish and has no desire to be Amish, I am so drawn to Katie’s story because of her struggles with her Amish way of life. Katie has characteristics that speak to me, and I believe they will speak to you too. She has decisions to make (don’t we all). I now live in an area of the U.S. where Amish and Mennonite families are plentiful, and for that reason, Katie’s story was even more dramatic for me. Beverly Lewis does a wonderful job of painting a view of Amish life that holds much truth. If you’ve ever felt the part of “which one of these is not like the other,” then pick up an Amish tale called The Shunning and read Miss Katie Lapp’s story. There are also two more books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment