Christianbook.com

Search:
Christianbook.com

Saturday, May 22, 2010

How Sweet It Is by Alice J. Wisler


Deena’s story is one I think that many of us can relate to on some level. She has been deeply hurt and chooses to hide behind walls she has built around parts of herself. She doesn’t want to let certain people see the real Deena. Through her journey to a new place and the help of a group of preteens she learns about herself, who she really is.
I found this book refreshing and enjoyable. There were a number of characters that really captured my attention. I could relate to their circumstances or their personalities. I was disappointed to find that the plumber did not meet up to the standards issued in the back cover description. He only quoted Dr. Seuss once; he did, however, quote the Eagles many times. I was sad that I didn’t get to relive my childhood reading through the Dr. Seuss-quoting plumber.
Wisler’s style has the feel of another writer’s Southern fiction, that of Denise Hildreth. If you have ever read Hildreth’s Savannah books you may find a similar feel and flair in this book. It was a very good story, with a charm all its own. If you want a bittersweet treat, then pick up this yummy book and enjoy. I definitely did!

No comments:

Post a Comment